Himamauli (Him) Das is a senior advisor at C&M International, the global policy and regulatory affairs affiliate of Crowell & Moring LLP. Him advises on international economic policy and foreign relations, which includes trade, foreign investment, national security, export controls and sanctions, financial regulation, export promotion, climate negotiations, and compliance matters involving international financial institutions. In addition to his affiliation with CMI as senior adviser, Him is Chief Legal Officer and Senior Vice President of the Financial Integrity Network (FIN), a Washington-based advisory firm that provides services to governments, financial services firms, and other organizations to strengthen global financial integrity.
Before his most recent position as counselor to the general counsel at the Treasury Department, Him served as senior director for international trade and investment at the National Security Council and National Economic Council. In that role, he was responsible for coordinating White House policy efforts on trade negotiations – including the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership – and trade enforcement matters. He was engaged in all matters within the White House related to trade, investment, and in international fora including the Group of Seven, the Group of Twenty, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the United Nations, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.
As acting deputy assistant secretary for trade and investment at the Treasury Department (2015) and assistant general counsel for international affairs (2008-2015), Him led efforts on financial services negotiations and negotiations on macroeconomic policy matters in the context of trade agreements and bilateral investment treaties.
As Treasury’s top international lawyer, he handled a broad range of international economic matters, including on rules governing the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), sovereign debt litigation, privileges and immunities, and terrorism matters, legal, funding, and compliance matters involving the international financial institutions, international financial regulatory standards and efforts to respond to the 2008 financial crisis, climate change negotiations, and regional issues, including China and India.
Him also served as an attorney at the State Department and the National Security Council, where he played a key role in drafting the U.S. and international framework to combat terrorist financing and the USA PATRIOT Act. He also was involved in the economic reconstruction of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Him received his J.D. from Boalt Hall School of Law, where he was a member of Order of the Coif, and a M.P.P. from the Goldman School of Public Policy, both at U.C. Berkeley. He received his B.A. with high distinction in physics from the University of California at Berkeley and his M.Sc. in astrophysics, planetary and atmospheric sciences from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Department of the Treasury—Counselor to the General Counsel (2017-2018)
The White House—Senior Director for International Trade and Investment, National Security Council (2015-2017)
Department of the Treasury—Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Trade and Investment (2015); Assistant General Counsel for International Affairs (2008-2015)
Department of State—Attorney Advisor (2007-2008)
The White House—Deputy Legal Advisor, National Security Council (2004-2007)
Department of State—Attorney Advisor (2001-2004)
University of California, Berkeley, M.P.P. (1997)
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D. (1997), Order of the Coif
University of Colorado at Boulder, M.Sc. (1992)
University of California, Berkeley, B.A. (1987), Phi Beta Kappa
Speeches & Presentations
- “Medical Supply Chains: Questions Companies are Asking and Evolving Government Actions in the Aftermath of COVID-19,” Crowell & Moring International Webinar (June 24, 2020). Presenters: Ambassador Robert Holleyman, Patricia L. Wu, John Fuson, James G. Flood, Himamauli Das, and Joshua Boswell.
- “The U.S.-China Relationship and Implications for the Future of Supply Chains,” American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai Webinar (May 8, 2020). Presenters: Ambassador Robert Holleyman, Evan Y. Chuck, and Himamauli Das.
- “Global Economic Recovery Calls For Trade Policy Overhaul,” Law360 (May 19, 2020). Authors: Robert Holleyman, and Himamauli Das.
Client Alerts & Newsletters
- “Navigating Medical Supply Chain Challenges in the Aftermath of COVID-19,” Health Care Alert (June 16, 2020). Contacts: Robert Holleyman, James G. Flood, Patricia L. Wu, Himamauli Das, Shelley Su, Joshua Boswell.
- “Policymakers Pivot to New Phase in the Global Economic Response to COVID-19,” (April 28, 2020). Contacts: Robert Holleyman, Himamauli Das, James G. Flood, Patricia L. Wu, Clark Jennings, Joshua Boswell… (show all 7)
- “International Economic Responses to COVID-19,” (April 6, 2020). Contacts: Robert Holleyman, Himamauli Das, James G. Flood, Patricia L. Wu, Clark Jennings, Joshua Boswell… (show all 7)
- C&M International Adds Himamauli Das To Its Team
October 29, 2018 — Close-up Media
Firm News & Announcements
|Oct.24.2018||Himamauli Das, Executive Branch Trade and Investment Official, Joins C&M International|